Subject: Re: RFC: new mode bits in stat structure
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/1998 13:18:52
On 29 Jun 1998, Ty Sarna wrote:

: Right.  DOS is (of course) backwards from everything else :-).  The
: NetBSD archived flag should have basicly the same semantics, but the
: sense of the bit is reversed (clear by default, clear when file written
: to).  The DOS archive flag basicly is a dirty bit, while the NetBSD
: (AmigaOS, etc) archived bit is !dirty.  msdosfs should invert the msdos
: archive bit to determine the NetBSD archived bit.

I'll look into reversing this relationship in msdosfs to match the correct
sense of the bit, because I may be making additions for pax that make use of
the bit to backup dos filesystems (in response to a question on another
NetBSD list).