Subject: Re: RFC: new mode bits in stat structure
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/1998 16:44:54
In article <Pine.NEB.3.95.980629145914.206f-100000@apb.iafrica.com>,
Alan Barrett  <apb@iafrica.com> wrote:
> If my memory serves correctly, then in the MSDOS world, that flag is just
> called the "archive" flag (not "archived" or "is archived"), and means
> "file has been modified since last backup", which is more or less the same
> as "file needs to be backed up", and the opposite of "file is archived".
> Writing to the file (or perhaps simply opening the file for write access)
> sets the flag, and the backup utility clears the flag.

Right.  DOS is (of course) backwards from everything else :-).  The
NetBSD archived flag should have basicly the same semantics, but the
sense of the bit is reversed (clear by default, clear when file written
to).  The DOS archive flag basicly is a dirty bit, while the NetBSD
(AmigaOS, etc) archived bit is !dirty.  msdosfs should invert the msdos
archive bit to determine the NetBSD archived bit.