Subject: Re: RFC: new mode bits in stat structure
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/1998 15:11:53
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> said:
>  > #define SF_ARCHIVED     0x00010000      /* file is archived */
>
> To be honest, I'm not entirely certain what the semantics of this flag
> are supposed to be.  Specifcally, the MSDOS file system sets it on a
> stat if the DOS "archived" attribute is set... and I suppose dump(8)
> could set this flag, but it doesn't look like it does...

If my memory serves correctly, then in the MSDOS world, that flag is just
called the "archive" flag (not "archived" or "is archived"), and means
"file has been modified since last backup", which is more or less the same
as "file needs to be backed up", and the opposite of "file is archived".
Writing to the file (or perhaps simply opening the file for write access)
sets the flag, and the backup utility clears the flag.

--apb (Alan Barrett)