Subject: Re: RFC: new mode bits in stat structure
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/1998 14:15:41
In some email I received from Jason Thorpe, sie wrote:
[...]
> I'd like to add these new bits and the changes to the system utilities that
> would care about them to the master NetBSD sources (not only does this save
> hair for us, but we are hoping to fold all of the HSM code back into NetBSD
> at some point).  Are there any objections to this?

Hmm.  You're using up bits from a limited resource, and whats more, it is
the last two bits available.  If possible, I'd *really* like to see it
somehow use only 1 bit and then use a combination of bits (if needed) to
achieve your goal.

The first, one, S_ISARCHIVED, I'm fine with.

#define	S_IFARCHIVED	0200000		/* file is archived */

However, this one, I'm not so sure about:
#define	S_IFNONRES	0400000		/* file is non-resident */

To me, this is a variation on the above (but it is archived, right ?).

What if it's used in conjuction with a bit from flags or use flags instead
of mode ?

Darren