Subject: Re: kernel debugging with /proc & /kern (was: word processor that runs on NetBSD/i386? (FAQ?))
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/24/1998 13:44:18
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:41:21 +0200
 Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

 > I have to disagree here. Actually I've always found it usefull to be able
 > to run ps to a core dump. You need it to find various things, and especially
 > the proc address you can set in geb later.
 > Or do you want to integrate 'ps' in 'gdb' ?

There is already a ps script for gdb in sys/gdbscripts.  gdb is very
useful, and can do just about everything you want to do.

HOWEVER... I don't always have a kernel w/ symbols lying around, and
I _quite often_ use `normal tools' to look at various kernel data
structures when I'm tracking down a problem.  Note that I also use
gdb on the kernel quite a lot, and I still like using the regular
system tools in certain situations.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939