Subject: Re: Compile speed wars [was Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1998 13:00:29
On Jun 12, Jonathan Stone wrote
> Even so, I grant it may well not make much of a difference to the outcome.
> But without dates and versions, this is not adequate disclosure.
> BTW, when you said that, anecdotally, the results with Linux were
> similar, it was impossible to tell whether you meant FreeBSD was
> 2.5-3x faster, than Linux, or that Linux was also 2.5x-3x faster than
> NetBSD at a specific compilation task.
> Since Linux doesnt thave netbsd emulation, maybe you mean the former,
> using Linux binaries on both FreeBSD and Linux, is that it?

Just a data point: my system at work (PPro 200, 64Mb RAM, IBM DORS 32160W
on an 2940UW) has a NetBSD 1.3/Linux 2.0.30 multiboot.
Compiling a linux kernel, using linux binaries
(chroot /emul/linux under NetBSD) took exactly the same time (8 mn 02 s)
under NetBSD or linux.

One could argue that the 2 systems were not set up the same way: under
NetBSD the FS were not mounted async :)
Now, for these kind of benchmarck to be valid, we should repeat it on
different hardware, to differentiate 'general system speed' from
'this scsi driver speed'.