Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1998 01:31:36
Noriyuki Soda said:

> FreeBSD already implemented merged VM & buffer cache which we (NetBSD)
> don't have, yet.
> So, it doesn't surprise me that sometimes FreeBSD is 3 times faster
> than NetBSD on some disk-related benchmark such as make world.
> (Of course, not always, but sometimes)

Yes.  That is a huge part of it (and not the only thing for sure.)

The problem with Perry is that he tries to discount my claim by
generalizing to be untrue.  I make no such general claim, and it
is a testament to someone who probably doesn't speak English
natively who actually appears to understand the difference better
than an likely native.

There are LOTS more things than just the merged cache, but that
is probably the key thing that changes it from absurd to plausible.
As performance issues get resolved, new ones come into the forefront,
and it seems to be a never ending challenged.