Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1998 02:20:27
> You have repeatedly misquoted me.  I ask for a retraction of each
> individual misquote.

It is an easily verifiable fact that Perry did not claim that any of
the following (which are the only substantial `quotes' I see) were
actually said or written by you.

  "I know of fifteen
  communists who work for FreeBSD, but I won't name them because I don't
  want to cause trouble".

  "NetBSD compiles three times slower!"
  "NetBSD doesn't *really* run on any platform! Even the i386 port isn't
  up to what I'd call 'finished'."
  "NetBSD has no quality control."

  Dyson: FreeBSD is three times faster.
  Dyson: I don't want to prove it.
  Dyson: I can't prove it, because it's false, but I'll try to find some
         way to distract you by saying something oblique.

  "I've got a miracle drug which cures cancer! It's called
  Impossilobium!"

  "Prove it!"

  "Obviously, you don't want your cancer cured, or you'd just believe me
  without proof! I suppose you'll have to go on suffering."

Given that you have claimed to me to be a fan of precision in writing,
I am disappointed that you have made and acted on such an obvious
assumption.

(I also note that this sort of paraphrasing is something that Jordan
does frequently, and I've never seen you flame him for it.)