Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1998 00:03:41
Perry E. Metzger said:

> "John S. Dyson" writes:
> > Perry E. Metzger said:
> > >
> > > I've tried to use both. I haven't seen particularly much difference,
> > > frankly. I have heard your claim that FreeBSD compiles code "three
> > > times faster" and such, and frankly it isn't true. Claiming FreeBSD is
> > > five percent faster under some conditions on a normal machine is
> > > within the realm of the believable, but I'm not even certain that that
> > > is true.
> > >
> > You are misstating my claims, and I hope you meant to by mistake, becuase
> > otherwise your ethics should be challenged.
>
> I thought I'd quote your last comment on this, just to make sure that
> people understood on what basis I'm making these "unethical" claims
> about your statements.
>
> "John S. Dyson" writes:
> > That isn't what I have seen, and that has nothing to do with
> > benchmarks but compiler loads, and real user productivity in that
> > environment.  One of our teams decided that BSD really performed
> > badly, based upon their NetBSD experience.  We did experience
> > a 3X speedup, and paging performance had little to do with it.
> > I didn't run those tests, and they were done by a skeptic :-).
>
> I didn't realize that I should have interpreted this as "our source
> tree, compiled on some random machine, compiles three times faster
> than yours, compiled on some different random machine".

That isn't correct.  You need to apologize to me because what you
said that I said that FreeBSD compiles are 3X faster.  What I implied is
that our compiles are 3X faster due to the conversion from Net to Free.

You might not see a difference, partially due to the difference
in caching opportunity.  During large builds, thngs like make depend
increase caching opportunity.  Do you get it yet?

I demand an apology for your obvious perversion of what I said
into an absurd statement.  Geesh!!!