Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1998 00:34:49
[distribution trimmed]

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> "John S. Dyson" writes:
> > NOTHING will get in the way of the FreeBSD port to the Alpha,
>
> Well, I must admit that starting with NetBSD's kernel gives you more
> of a shot to have something work than the technique you tried for your
> Sparc port. OTOH, it isn't even clear to me *why* anyone would want
> FreeBSD on the Alpha, when there is already NetBSD.

Not to jump in so soon after I've subbed but as a user who runs more
NetBSD machines than FreeBSD out of necessity I'd say that the answer to
your last question would be "What is a more fully integrated and coherent
system Bob."

NetBSD is certainly great in that its the only game in town for alot of
platforms.

Oh, and NetBSD does have a nicer name.  :)

> When asked by anyone who's an ordinary user what they will see as a
> major difference if they switch from NetBSD/i386 to FreeBSD or vice
> versa, I usually note "not much unless you're a kernel hacker". Most
> NetBSD people generally say the same.

I don't but then again you may not consider me a proper NetBSD person.

Have a good one.

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/