Subject: Re: speed vs portability
To: None <dyson@freebsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1998 00:11:26
"John S. Dyson" writes:
> FreeBSD will likely never run on more than 3-4 architectures, and
> that allows for reasonable quality control.

"NetBSD compiles three times slower!"
"NetBSD doesn't *really* run on any platform! Even the i386 port isn't
up to what I'd call 'finished'."
"NetBSD has no quality control."

You know, I've never said anything bad about the quality of your
software to anyone before now. Maybe I should start trying to make
things up, too, just to keep up. I bet I can find someone who'll say
that on a dark night once a FreeBSD install CD killed their
grandmother or something, and I can find someone else to say that
FreeBSD crashes on them exactly every thirty three seconds.

Perry