Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 23:40:33
Perry E. Metzger said:

> "John S. Dyson" writes:
> > > So you're willing to make claims about FreeBSD's performance, but
> > > you're not willing to back them up with numbers?   Am I the only
> > > person to whom this seems more than a little bit disingenuous?
> > >
> > If I don't do all your work for you to improve your OS, it isn't
> > my fault. You should take it as a challenge to improve the results
> > of your project, just as I do mine.
>
> So, lets translate that.
>
> Dyson: FreeBSD is three times faster.
> Perry: Prove it.
> Dyson: I don't want to prove it.
> Lemon: You're making an extraordinary claim. Please prove it.
> Dyson: I can't prove it, because it's false, but I'll try to find some
>        way to distract you by saying something oblique.
>
> The truth is, John, that you know your "three times" quote is
> obviously false. However, presenting us with benchmarks would be
> embarassing to you, so you choose not to do so.

Wrong.  If anything it is maybe 2.5X, but your continual whining,
and obvious lies are tiresome.  I can prove your lies, and all
I ask is that you recognize that NetBSD is missing some valuable
peformance capabilities.

I will state conclusively: the compiles were 2.5X to 3X faster,
and you can decide not to believe it, and at that point, I
really do hope that you do nothing to fix it, because it will
continue to be true :-).

I still expect an apology for your lying deceptive misquotes of
me.  Good news is that my coworkers would correct me, publically
if I am wrong :-).