Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 20:38:07
Matthew Jacob said:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > although technically permissable, has been a violation of the spirit
> > of the work.
>

> We have to stop this now, please. It is not helping.

I think that it is helping.  Again, FreeBSD/Alpha will likely
have less and less of NetBSD in it, with the attitudes that
are apparent here (and in earlier discussions.)  The same
focus on performance issues from the X86 will be afforded
as on the Alpha.  The more the codebases diverge, the less
that legacy internal compatibility issues are important.
NetBSD binary compatibility will of course be retained, so
that we can share executables.

The Alpha architecture is very interesting, and I am sure
that there are alot of opportunities for advancement.