Subject: Re: speed vs portability
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John S. Dyson <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 19:58:14
David Seifert said:
> > Gessh, even Linux outperforms
> > NetBSD on many platforms, and that is embarassing (even to me.)
> On the one platform I have that Linux "supports" (*), the apps crash much
> faster on Linux.  I guess you could call that "outperforms".
> (*) for some really lame definition of "supports".
> > We certainly don't want to be constrained
> > by the limitations of an OS that has lots of ports...
> I don't want to be constrained by an OS that only runs on wintel boxes.
That problem is in the process of going away, with political
resistance :-).

> FreeBSD has a large quantity of apps, but doesn't run on any
> of the 3 platform types I own.
> NetBSD has fewer apps, but it has the quality of running on 2 of my
> 3 platform types.
FreeBSD will likely never run on more than 3-4 architectures, and
that allows for reasonable quality control.

John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,     | it just makes you look stupid,         | and it irritates the pig.