Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 19:40:51
Jason Thorpe said:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:06:10 -0500 (EST)
>  "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>  > I don't think that FreeBSD should EVER permenently adopt code
>  > that will cause us to be dependent on the mood of somone who
>  > might decide to sue someday.
>
> I said `interface', not `code'.  There _is_ a difference.
>
> (Also, why would I want to keep you from using my code?)

The effect of intolerable public displays is to effectively
add cost.  The emotional toll of using software is sometimes
not worth whatever transitory technical advantages that it provides.
If risk can be minimized by eventually removing the software in
question and with little cost, then that will happen.

Big companies can deal with unreasonable outbursts with effective
legal counsel.  Small companies and individuals don't have the
resources to deal with the contingencies.