Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 17:43:47
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> [-- An interesting comment, verging on diatribe, about FreeBSD's
>     changes to bus_dma --]

	Lets assume for a moment that Justin and Jonathan understand the
	FreeBSD and NetBSD sides respectively, and are working towards
	understanding the other side, at which point a common code base
	becomes more of a possibility.

	Justin made some changes to improve x86 performance, without
	(as far as he is aware) impacting portability, but he is willing
	to explain the issues and try to understand any points Jonathan
	may have. Ditto Jonathan with respect to Justin's position.

	I just don't see what Perry's comment contributes, apart from
	making anyone FreeBSD-centric on this list defensive.

	The _only_ thing that really pains me with NetBSD is the attitude
	that we sometimes project to other people. (Apologies to Perry
	here - its not in any way as if he was the only person who
	sometimes comes across like this).

	I don't care how bloody much better we are at designing something,
	or how many machines we support, projecting an attitude like that
	is worse to NetBSD's image than a stream of security alerts or
	adoption of poorly designed APIs (neither of which I'm suggesting
	we do).

		David/absolute

                  -=- Why _do_ we crucify ourselves?  -=-