Subject: bus_dma
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 20:07:22
I think this issue can be summarized thusly:

* The NetBSD interface was developed by a number of people, many of
  whom are quite experienced, not just with PCs, but will many other
  systems as well.  It has been proven to work for a large variety of
  hardware, and to easily accomodate workarounds for bugs and design
  failures.  None of this is hypothetical.

* Justin claims that his modifications to the interface are an
  improvement, with no hard evidence to back it up.  These changes
  have *not* been tested in the `real world' -- i.e. on multiple,
  substantially different, hardware platforms.  Multiple technical
  issues about these changes have been brought up and not adequately
  (if at all) replied to; instead Justin and John have to a large
  extent merely stated platitudes about how wonderful FreeBSD is.

So it seems clear to me that there is at this point no reason why we
would want to change our interface.