Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: None <dyson@freebsd.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 16:16:29
> Does that mean that the FreeBSD development should move forward,
> and then when we  have reproduceable benchmarks on FreeBSD, then
> you can choose to adopt our code, or leave it be?

Why do you have to have different code?   Why not try the current code
on for size, see how it works, and *then* propopose i386-specific
enhancements if the need arises?

It *sucks* that we're still not going to have sharable device drivers.
Device drivers are thin on the ground in the Free BSD community.  I
think it's worth a *lot* of effort to try to improve device driver
sharing.  I'm not saying this with the intent of offending anybody - I
think it's a fairly obvious truth.  An incompatible API ought to be a
*clear* win, and it ought to be *minimally* incompatible.  Nothing
I've heard so far suggests that this is the case.

			       _MelloN_