Subject: speed vs portability
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 15:54:34
> Gessh, even Linux outperforms
> NetBSD on many platforms, and that is embarassing (even to me.)

On the one platform I have that Linux "supports" (*), the apps crash much
faster on Linux.  I guess you could call that "outperforms".

(*) for some really lame definition of "supports".

> We certainly don't want to be constrained
> by the limitations of an OS that has lots of ports...

I don't want to be constrained by an OS that only runs on wintel boxes.

> This is a quality vs. quantity argument.

FreeBSD has a large quantity of apps, but doesn't run on any
of the 3 platform types I own.

NetBSD has fewer apps, but it has the quality of running on 2 of my
3 platform types.

-Dave, not speaking for anyone