Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: None <dyson@freebsd.org>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 22:17:54
I feel as though I want to say something here, although I don't
normally. First it looked like perfectly reasonable, technical
discussion between Jonathan and Justin. I have been following the
mailings, and it has been one of the most interesting things I have read
on this list for an extremely long time. I'm also perfectly happy to see
people discussing as there was _no_reason_ (AFAICS) for anyone to take
offence to anything Jonathan or Justin were saying in these messages.
Worst case is that Jason could take some offence, though if things
proposed really are that silly then he can just laugh instead. All of
their messages were perfectly polite. So why then do people start
flaming and attacking?

Best case is, if Justin has some points, we could learn something or he
could learn something. Worst case, he jsut carries on and we may or may
not have something that works better. Neither of these seem to me a
particularly awful scenario. So why not just let people discuss without
becoming emotional or (as an 'unbiased outsider') needlessly rude.

Given that FreeBSD and NetBSD are both different beasts, there are no
doubt things that one port could learn from another so I'd like to
encourage discussion such as this, although I feel there are far too
many personal issues in the way for this to happen. That said I'm
probably trying to tame native lions so I'll shut up now.