Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 18:43:28
David Edelsohn writes:
> Perry's reaction was inappropriate;

Indeed, a bunch of my language WAS inappropriate and I want to
apologize for it. I few *way* off the handle, and neither Mr. Dyson
nor Mr. Gibbs deserved to be attacked personally.

HOWEVER, my point still stands. I believe claims of improved
performance when I see reproduceable benchmarks. I believe claims of
portability when I see a port. I *know* that NetBSD's code ports well,
because we spent years beating on it until it would. FreeBSD hasn't
finished one port from its original architecture. I would like to see
justification for claims of performance and portability -- not
theoreticals.

Perry