Subject: Re: FreeBSD Bus DMA
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1998 18:36:19
"Justin T. Gibbs" writes:
> I must say that it still amazes me how much this group lets its emotions
> get in the way of progress.  Is it so inconceivable that a piece of code
> originating in NetBSD could be improved upon?

Of course our code can be improved upon. My issue is with the claim
that an interface is better performing with no benchmarks to back it
up, and the claim that it is portable with no ports to back the claim
up.

> Does it simply hurt your egos too much when a third party, operating
> fully within the bounds of the license on the code, modifies it,
> then has the audacity to submit the changes back and claim their
> modifications might have made the code better?

I don't have trouble with people operating under the spirit of the
license, but I must say that the FreeBSD/Alpha work (which seems to
be, at this point, "Repaint the NetBSD kernel and call it FreeBSD"),
although technically permissable, has been a violation of the spirit
of the work. It feels very much like due credit for who actually did
the work isn't being given, regardless of the letter of the license.

Perry