Subject: Re: test of new powerdown facility
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/1998 18:12:18
At 10:09 -0700 6/10/98, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>I do have a change to the SCSI disk driver to perform a SYNCHRONIZE CACHE
>on shutdown ... I'm waiting to hear back from Eric to see if it helps his
>particular situation.

It worked - I compiled a new kernel, shut the previous one down to single
user mode, unmounted everything (except root, of course), and halted with a
power off (after sync'ing myself silly), and fsck found damage on / when
the new kernel came up.

I shut down the new kernel to single user, umounted everything, created a
file, deleted the file, sync'd, and halt -p. No damage found on reboot.

So, for at least the particular combination of a SPARC Classic (sun4m), and
a Quantum 1080S, the SCSI SYNCHRONIZE CHACHE command at shutdown apparently
had the desired result.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>