Subject: Re: test of new powerdown facility
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/1998 23:50:20
[ please remove port-sparc from the reply, it's definitively not
sparc-dependant. Sorry, I forgot to adjust this the first time ]

On Jun 10, Jason Thorpe wrote
> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:33:23 +0200
>  Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:
>
>  > I'll try didabling the disk's write cache to see if this helps.
>  > But a small delay (1s ?) between the message 'rebooting' or 'halting'
>  > and the action could at last give us a change to see the messages :)
>
> Is there a "flush cache" operation for IDE?

Looks like there's none,  at last in ata-3 (and my drive is definitively not
and ata-4). Looks like disabling the write cache is the only option.
I'll look at the ata-4 standarts (at work) tomorow morning.
However, I don't think this can hurt performances in a significant manner.
I'll let know the results here.