Subject: Re: test of new powerdown facility
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, mjacob@feral.com>
From: None <gwr@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/1998 13:37:40
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:09:56 -0700
[...]
>  > > I think Gordon's "spin down" idea is good, too... once the sync operation
>  > > is complete, maybe spinning down the disk isn't such a bad idea, too...
>  >
>  > Not all drives 'listen' to the spindown command.
>
> ...and Curt's "man, that'd take a long time to reboot" comment, and the
> other comment about how some won't spin up again until a power cycle
> made me think it wasn't such a good idea :-)

It might not have been clear from my short suggestion, but
I did not mean to suggest a SCSI STOP in any circumstance
OTHER than "we are about to power off."  In that case, any
reboot or subsequent spin-up issues are irrelevant.

Anyway, sounds like SYNCHRONIZE CACHE is sufficient, and
would be safe to do at every shutdown (not just power-off).

Gordon