Subject: Re: test of new powerdown facility
To: Peter Wieland <peterwie@MICROSOFT.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/09/1998 19:05:40
Peter Wieland said:

>spinning down drives can cause nightmares.  I've run across a frighteningly
>large number of drives which wouldn't spin back up until they were power
>cycled.  I haven't been keeping a good catalog so i'm not sure which cases
>are age-related and which could be firmware problems.

My nightmare was 20 sparc servers loaded with Solaris 2.5 server edition
including the optional power saving software. It's very hard for
engineers to do a 3 hour software build when the system shuts down
after 30 minutes of inactivity at the console. :-( I was called in on a
weekend because the new college hires that installed the OS couldn't
figure out what they had done wrong...
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com