Subject: Re: how to change swapctl() interface.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/27/1998 10:31:26
   On Tue, 26 May 1998, matthew green wrote:

   : i forgot to meantion:  this breaks backwards compatility for
   : binaries,

   Then it's broken.  Create a __swapctl14().  "I have to be able to boot a 1.3
   binary set on 1.4, so I have to be able to have my swap added...."

this is *only* for swapctl(SWAP_STATS, ...).  *and* every program that uses
it will already need to be changed for UVM -- whole structures are *gone*
rather than just minorly changed.

there is nothing stopping you adding swap, just viewing the current config.
i put this in the same class of problems that netstat or the audio ioctl()
interface changes (AUDIO_GETENC is at least one example)..

i think it's a waste, like i think having 1024 (PATH_MAX) bytes for the
pathname of the swap device -- espcially considering with our current
kernel malloc we'd use 2k of space per swap device, with maybe 30 or so
bytes of it actually used, in the normal case.