Subject: GENERIC kernels and N{KMEM,MB}CLUSTERS
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/1998 17:17:11
Folks,

After my recent problems with "mb_map full" messages and "out of space
in kmem_map" panics, I was thinking it was a good idea to add some
commented out defines for NKMEMCLUSTERS and NMBCLUSTERS to each port's
GENERIC kernel config file.  I know that options(4) contains this info,
but it has seemed to crop up _very_ often in the mailling archives.  I
was thinking of:

	#options NMBCLUSTERS=<somesuch>   # increase if you get "mb_map full" messages
	#options NKMEMCLUSTERS=<somesuch> # increase if you get "out of space in kmem_map" panics

The <somesuch> would be the current values for each port.

For the ports that actually define a value in the GENERIC config file
(amiga, atari, hp300, pica, pmaxx and powerpc) would it be best to
remove thsse and change that #ifndef'd value in ..../include/param.h?

Thoughts, ideas, waste of time?

Simon.