Subject: Re: Why is multimode limited ? [was Re: WDM_PIOMULTI fails on my drive (atari + MI wdc) ]
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/1998 22:08:03
On Mon 27 Apr 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Apr 24, Leo Weppelman wrote
> > > Perhaps you could print the error code too (wdc->sc_error). This would
> > > help understand why the mode was rejected. Maybe you could also print the
> > > d_link->sc_params.wdp_maxmulti parameter in wdattach().
> >
> > The error code is 4, wdp_maxmulti is 128.
>
> Ok, this is "aborted command". This probably means that this mode (16)
> is not supported. This drive claims to support 128 sectors multimode-transfer,
> and the spec says lower values MAY be supported.

I tried the driver with 'd_link->sc_multiple' set to 128, but this didn't
change the problem. I can't help you with the rationale behind the hard
coded limit of 16...

> > If you want to test the recovery of this error, I'm your man ;-)
>
> Ok. I'll also need someone to test the new driver on ATARI :) I hope
> to have something working at the end of this week.

There are not so many developers with an Atari. Even Jason's collection
seems to lack this beautiful machine ;-) Seriously, once you have something
ready for testing, drop me an ftp address.

Leo.