Subject: Re: further vm adventures
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/28/1998 09:06:42
On 27-Apr-98 Soren S. Jorvang wrote:

>> Again, Chuck just suggested a way to use ddb with X, so I may learn more
>> about this soon....
>
> I think I missed that. Was it something other than using a serial
> console?

I think I may be confused about why I had trouble with this before.

What I do now, that works (on i386 with pcvt console driver):

  1. Give the X server a 'vtXX' command line option, so you know what VT it's
     using.

  2. After starting X, to get into ddb, switch back to VT01 (/dev/ttyv0) with
     [Ctrl][Alt][F1]; you see flack from X starting up there, and no command
     line.

  3. [Ctrl][Alt][Esc] drops you into ddb.

  4. When done there, 'ddb> c' puts you back with no command line on VT01.

  5. [Ctrl][Alt][Fx] (where [Fx] matches your 'vtXX' option to the X server)
     gets you back to the X desktop.

I suppose as a variation you could retain a command line on VT01 by starting
the server with '&'....

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 28-Apr-98