Subject: Re: further vm adventures
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/26/1998 19:46:15
On 26-Apr-98 Robert Elz wrote:

> Have you considered that the X server may, for whatever weird reason,
> simply be mallocing more memory (getting bigger).   X servers are weird
> beasts, and memory leaks in there are entirely possible.   But you'd
> do better to ask about it on one of the X lists (though checking its
> size with ps or similar first to see that it is growing would be useful).

I thought of that a LONG time ago.  As my message said:

"The X server gains 8K in its RSS across each interation.  No other programs
undergo any change....I call this a leak because the client has exited, and the
memory at issue cannot be found associated with any other program."

> Why are you assuming that this has something to do with the kernel?

As just reiterated.

> Loopback sockets???

Well, I wasn't entirely serious there, except to point out, that's the only
other distinguishing feature, versus character mode situations (the first being
that the X server and xterm are suid).

Perhaps I ought to use 'net faces more.  I did put it in parentheses and add,
"forgive me, but I'm desperate"....

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 25-Apr-98