Subject: Re: Extra keyboards and mice
To: tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG, Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/1998 12:16:28
Excerpts from netbsd: 21-Apr-98 Extra keyboards and mice Lennart
Augustsson@cs.ch (657*)

> I'm working on USB device drivers and I've now managed to
> talk to a USB mouse and a keyboard.  Now I wonder, what is
> "The Right Way"(tm) to make these show up as devices?

It would be a good thing to integrate them with the
wscons code. So they would show up as additional
minor devices of "wskbd" or "wsmouse", delivering
"wscons_event" structures (see wsconsio.h).

I know little about USB keyboards - do they emit the same
scancodes as the normal PC keyboards?
And how do they behave when used as console - is there
a complete hardware emulation? (If yes, how does the
driver find out that the standared keyboard and the USB one
are the same device in reality?)
However, I'm sure a lot of code can be shared.

The wscons code is still in development. If there show
up new needs, it should be extended.
I'd like to have a look at your code to see how it
could be integrated.

best regards
Matthias