Subject: Re: Stale NFS file handle
To: None <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/1998 00:20:03
On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 07:58:42PM +0200, Lucio de Re wrote:
> I'm not sure where to look for this :-(
>
> In implementing Plan 9 NFS services, any access to the (apparently)
> mounted file system returns the message
>
> 	<filename>: Stale NFS file handle
>
> Presumably, this relates to some latter-day checks that the Plan 9
> developers were not aware of.  Could someone point me in the right
> direction to get rid of this problem.
>
> Note that a "df" does return reasonable results, to the extent that
> Plan 9 and NetBSD can exchange disk usage information.

In normal operation, this error can occur when a client uses a handle
that is no longer valid, usually because the file it references
has been removed on the server.

In this case, I'd say that your client is sending an illegal handle
somehow. try adding some debug info or snoop the wire to see
what is going on.

- Frank