Subject: Re: new TIODCDTIMESTAMP patch
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/1998 17:28:14
>> No, it's a feature. If you want to do a cleaner API, go ahead.

>BZZT.  Guess again.  If you want the API, you're going to implement
>it correctly.  I'm not about to do this work for you.

But Jason. The API I'm asking for is the API where _by definition_
this is a feature, not a bug.

I'm perfectly happy to zero out any initial timestamp with this API
and to add whatever you and CGD want as a `clean' API.
Looking back, what's asked for includes

	* enable timestamp without sampling
        * disable timestamping
	* fetch latest timestamp (error if timestamping not enabled?)

And if we want to compare NetBSD's ntp performance to other
implementations then shouldnt' we use the same API and the same number
of kernel crossings?

I'm _not interested_ in changing xntpd.