Subject: Re: new TIODCDTIMESTAMP patch
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/1998 17:03:06
> If you have a different angle on that discussion than what was
> discussed last month, I'd be glad to hear it, but I genuinely thought
> we'd reached a consenus on that issue.  Are there other bugs?

Actually, I didn't really agree that we should implement the API as
you proposed it (and others have implemented it), but I didn't feel
like arguing it to death.  Now that somebody else has brought it up
again, however..

(1) It would be trivial to modify xtnpd and ntpd to do the right
thing.  Long term, this is the right thing to do.

(2) It would also be trivial to implement the 'correct' API, then
implement (as an MI tty ioctl, if you really really want it) the bogus
interface as calls into the driver which use the 'better' ioctl
interface.

I.e., make the long-term solution the 'right' one, and implement the
gross short-term fix as a hack.

cgd