Subject: Re: Stale NFS file handle
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/1998 15:32:12
> In this case, I'd say that your client is sending an illegal handle
> somehow. try adding some debug info or snoop the wire to see
> what is going on.

If you're going to do the snooping from a NetBSD client, using
tcpdump, I strongly suggest you apply the patch to file handle
printing which is part of PR 4275.  Without it, the existing file
handle printing code tends to lose ... a lot of information.  (With
the patch, the file handle printing code spits out a bunch of hex
digits for the file handle, rather than anything pretty.  However,
when you're analyzing traffic oftentimes what you really want is all
of the bits of the file handle, rather than tcpdump's
possibly-incorrect interpretation of those bits.)

cgd