Subject: Real vfork() (was: third results)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/04/1998 22:33:19
On 05-Apr-98 Ty Sarna wrote:

>> I'm getting ready to "back-port" your new vfork() into NetBSD 1.2/i386, so I
>> can test the difference objectively.
>
> I know you've mentioned that upgrading to -current is a pain for you,
> but compared to back-porting VM stuff, it should be a lot easier. Any
> reason why you don't just upgrade?

Ah, well, there are two reasons.

First, I want to test __vfork14().  This would best be done in isolation, with
all else being equal -- i.e., on the same installation, with all other code (in
and outside the kernel) the same.  And in back-porting, I learn a fair amount
about the code and how it fits into things, so I know what I'm testing.

Second, I can't just "upgrade" from 1.2 to -current.  I'd have to download the
whole ball of wax, build it, replace my existing installation with it, rebuild
all the apps I have running on this installation, and get everything configured
in.  All of that would just be a distraction from what I'm actually trying to
do at the moment.

Besides, by definition, -current isn't even a stable distribution that's
guaranteed to build properly!

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 04-Apr-98