Subject: Re: third results (was: ddb & shared libs)
To: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/04/1998 15:03:32
On Sat, 04 Apr 1998 12:49:05 -0000 (GMT)
 jiho@postal.c-zone.net wrote:

 > Are pmap.c changes required JUST to install the new vfork(), or only if I want
 > to install UVM also?

You need it for vfork().

 > I think I just figured that out.  It's the allocation/deallocation of USPACE,
 > which has moved from a vmspace mapping to a kmem allocation, making the new
 > vfork() possible.  Correct?

No.  The new vfork() was made possible by sharing the "struct vmspace".

 > By the way, are you aware of any user programs that have had to be modified to
 > work with this shared vmspace vfork()?  David Brownlee keeps telling me he saw
 > a flurry of commits on the source-changes mailing list to that effect.  But I
 > don't see anything about it in CHANGES for -current (as of yesterday).

There were several programs in the tree, and a bug in the C library, that
violated the traditional "vfork rules" (which have existed since the
vfork in 3BSD, but which we got away with since 4.4BSD's vfork didn't
have the address space sharing semantics).