Subject: Re: third results (was: ddb & shared libs)
To: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/1998 15:27:38
On Fri, 3 Apr 1998 jiho@postal.c-zone.net wrote:

> On 03-Apr-98 Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> > In NetBSD-current, the Mach VM code base also has a Real vfork(2).
>
> I figured this out a little later.  I'd been discussing UVM, and I have such a
> one-track mind....
>
> I'm getting ready to "back-port" your new vfork() into NetBSD 1.2/i386, so I can
> test the difference objectively.

	You may find you have some problems with userland programs that
	depend on the broken semantics of the old ("New" mach), vfork().

	A simpler option might be to update to -current. That allows you
	to switch between the Mach VM and UVM by just defining 'UVM', plus
	bringing forward the old ("New" mach) vfork() semantics should not
	break anything else.

		David/absolute

	-- Just adding to the wrinkles on his deathly frown... --