Subject: Re: third results (was: ddb & shared libs)
To: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/1998 14:00:11
On 03-Apr-98 John S. Dyson wrote:

> FreeBSD does not need to use or create three pages like the old VM code
> did, and hasn't for the last year++.  The source says it all!!!

I'm profusely embarassed about this.  I posted a very close follow-up message
correcting the mistake (which I caught fairly quickly) in no uncertain terms.

The new FreeBSD does a proper vfork(), just as the new NetBSD does; in fact, the
code is very similar.  So the issue of how FreeBSD would handle COW doesn't
even arise in this case.

The first time I looked at the FreeBSD source, I got confused by the alien flag
definitions and new functions and took the wrong turn.  The second time it was
very clear.

Sorry about that!

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net