Subject: Re: PPS signals and all that jazz
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/1998 09:18:02
"Charles M. Hannum" writes:
> If you're going to do this with a serial line, I suggest that you just
> write a completely separate special-case driver that does what you
> need.

It has, in fact, always struck me that the rational way to handle PPS
clock stuff was with a special driver. To get maximum accuracy, you
want to get very intimate with the hardware, and you especially *do
not* want all the normal serial machinery screwing with what you do.

Maybe there is a clever way to portably rearrange some of the lowest
levels of the code so that the special case drivers don't require much
work, but I'm not sure you really want the vast majority of the
machinery getting in your way.

Perry