Subject: Re: NTP pulse-per-second timestamp diff
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/1998 16:35:20
So, on this vein ...

I've just built a CHU decoder, and naturally I want to use it as a stratum
one NTP source (if you don't know what CHU is, look at the NTP distribution
documentation and http://www.inms.nrc.ca/inms/ctse.html; it's the
cheapest way I found of getting a NTP source at home).

To do this with the best accuracy possible requires using a special line
discipline; that's easy enough to add.  However, I'm wondering if there's
any gain in giving the serial port driver the ability to short-circuit
the soft interrupt processing and feed the data directly to the
line discipline routines, to help reduce latency and jitter.  The CHU
signal is supposed to be accurate to within 1ms, so I don't know if
doing this optimization would be lost in the noise (however, I'm
running this on a 25MHz 386, so maybe it wouldn't :-) ).  Comments?

--Ken