Subject: Re: NTP pulse-per-second timestamp diff
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/1998 09:21:19
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I've just committed a definition of TIOCDCDTIMESTAMP to sys/sys/ttycom.h.
> Future builds of xntpd on -current should compile in support for
> userlevel PPS There are still no hooks for in-kernel PPS;
> i want to get this debugged first.

Wouldn't another option be to either put the serial chip in loopback mode
(available in the 8530 SCC) or make a loopback plug, and then run the port
at 10 baud? It'd be easy to keep the transmit queue full :-) and there'd
be no dropped pulses. Even if interrupt problems keep things constapated
for a while (delay character reception), none of the characters would get
dropped.

Take care,

Bill