Subject: Re: ddb & shared libs: first results
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/22/1998 07:37:13
On 22-Mar-98 Jason Thorpe wrote:

>> We remove ld.so's 28K of dead bss from the 64K, and get 36K.  Take another 8K
>> for the process stack and data, and another 8K for ld.so's data and native
>> bss.  That leaves 20K due to additional overhead from ld.so and the two C
>> library functions.  Hmmm...that's still not very efficient.
>
> ...how much of this can be attributed to the GOT that needs to be patched
> up in the run-time link phase?

The two libc functions are getpid() and sleep().

Of the 5 pages, 3 are data pages from libc.  I have no idea why.  What would
write to them?

At least 1 of the other 2 pages is undoubtedly a bss page from libc, on account
of an uninitialized variable 'ringring' declared in sleep.c.  I'm unable to
track down getpid() in the libc source, so the other page, I don't know.

As for the GOT, I can count on one hand the symbols that are being linked.

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 22-Mar-98
Time: 06:48:33