Subject: Re: tty dialin/dialout
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/20/1998 17:56:53
> > Well, it seems that everyone wants it.
>
> Not everyone wants the dual /dev entry version.

Indeed not.  I've watched with anxiety today as this conversation has unfolded.
I *hate* the /dev/cuaN method.  Now, I'm not going to defend acucntrl or any
other way of editing /etc/ttys and HUP'ing init.

Remembering correspondances between different /dev/{XXX,YYY} pairs which refer
to the same physical device but "in different ways" is not my strong point.  I
have learned to live with block-vs-raw and rewind-vs-norewind but inbound-vs-
outbound is just beyond the bend.

The system of pending opens where getty's open() can continue to block while
tip's open() succeeds suits me just fine.  Can we rewind this conversation to
that point and have somebody explain just why that's a bad thing?