Subject: Re: tty layer bogons from the depths of the abyss
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/20/1998 19:42:28
On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 23:40:02 -0800  "Erik E. Fair" wrote:

> There is actually one other case to think about supporting (it may not be
> important these days): dual-use modems, dial-in and dial-out. Something
> like uugetty (or its equivalents) can help, or you can play the two tty
> locking game used in SunOS (two /dev/ttyfoo's, one device, one for getty,
> one for cua0 (or equiv), mutually exclusive use locking in the kernel).

Dual use is still important in my experience, both here and on my
customer sites.

I'll not offer an opinion on whether an implemention should use
multiple device files or not though -- it has been religious in the
past.  I will thank anyone who implements the functionality either
way.

In the meantime mgetty continues to do the right thing, but isn't an
appealing solution.

Regards,

Giles