Subject: Re: shared library support
To: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/19/1998 22:03:27
>Except maybe for those 7 bss pages (28K) you attribute to ld.so.  I'm having a
>hard time deducing what those pages are filled with, considering how tiny my
>test program is and how few links it entails.

it is ld.so's malloc().   see the file:

gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld/malloc.c ... look for:

#define NPOOLPAGES      (32*1024/pagesz)

i don't know how much of that gets used, you'd have to
ask Paul Kranenburg (pk), as he is the expert in this area.

>And although from your test, code sharing appears to work "as expected" with
>UVM, we don't really know about Mach yet.

... but it is easy enough to find out.  someone just needs to repeat
the test under the oldvm.   i do not have time to do it myself.

chuck