Subject: Re: shared library support
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/19/1998 08:59:11
    Date:        Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:35:36 -0800
    From:        Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>

  | I didn't mean to imply that it would be a simple hack - indeed, you'd
  | have to have an extra layer of map ownership to do it.   The question
  | is, would it be worth doing?   That's what I was asking.

My intuition is no.   The only process on most systems that is run often
enough to matter, and which is likely to be run concurrently with other
instances of itself (excluding forked copies which don't count) is /bin/sh
(because of all the #! /bin/sh scripts, logins are infrequent enough not to
matter).  But that is (for good reasons) statically linked anyway.  I doubt
there's anything else on a typical system that is executed enough concurrently
to matter (xterm would meet concurrency, but not frequency, ls, cat, ...
frequency, but not concurrency).   That is, very few very frequently executed
processes hang around long enough to make the hit probability high.

kre