Subject: Re: internal modem bug
To: None <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
From: Don Ray <dray@servecom.picker.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/18/1998 08:05:08
Hi Marc and everyone,

-----Original Message-----
From: tooleym@douglas.bc.ca <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
To: Don Ray <dray@servecom.picker.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 1998 2:10 AM

>please do not crosspost to so many groups. it is extremely irritating for
>those of us who have subscribed to them all to receive the same
>message over and over again. choose which group you want to
>address and stick to that one.

I apologize to you and the rest of the group. I'm a newbie to these lists,
but I went against my own common sense in desparation -- won't happen again.

>I highly doubt that tech-kern cares a wit whether or not a modem
>works with a system. If it turns out to be a problem within the kernel
>(highly suspect in any case) THEN moveon to tech-kern.

If anywhere, I thought tech-kern was right because 1.3 kernels (and 1.3
builds) do not exhibit the problem I described -- I put a 1.3 kernel on a
1.2 build and the problem went away (of course, it broke many commands but
it was only a test). Seeing as COM and ISA functionality are handled by the
kernel, it made sense to me -- what changed in the kernel to eleviate the
problem?

>However, as it is, most people who are on tech-kern have subscribed
>to the rest of the groups anyway, so really you're reaching the same
>folks--just many many times.

Including myself ;-)

>please stop.

Done -- thanks for setting me straight.