Subject: Re: shared library support
To: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/18/1998 10:09:37
    Date:        Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:26:38 -0000 (GMT)
    From:        jiho@postal.c-zone.net

  | The Linux user reported on one of their news groups that with a large Motif
  | client under X, he was able to start more instances statically linked than with
  | shared libraries.  He pointed out that with HP-UX the reverse was true, and
  | indeed, when things are working properly it always should be so.

That's not what I would necessarily expect.   I'd normally expect there to
be some overhead from using shared libraries, as compared to static
applications, so if the test is to run lots of the same application (in which
the text is shared anyway, and hence so are the libraries) I'd expect more
concurrent copies to fit than running the same application, shared, many
times (which contains exactly the same code and data, but more overhead).

To do a real test of shared libraries, and see if you win (aside from the
convenience of being able to upgrade the library independantly of all the
applications) you need to run large numbers of different applications, which
share the libraries, not the same application over and over again.

kre